Lakes are popular recreational areas and the livelihoods of millions of people. Reason enough to take a look at the 10 largest lakes in the world.
- Great Slave Lake
The Great Slave Lake in northwest Canada owes its German name to a translation error. Because the 28,568 km² large lake is not named after slaves, but after the Indian people of the Slavey, who used to live in the area around the lake, whose members were formerly referred to as “slaves”, which also means slave.
Lake Malawi, which extends over the territories of Mozambique, Malawi and Tanzania and is 29,600 km² in size and 579 km long, is called Nyassa or Nyasa or Niassa in the national languages of the neighboring states and is the third largest lake in Africa.
- Big Bear Lake
Around the shores of the lake in northwestern Canada, silver and uranium used to be mined and furs were traded. Today the 31,328 km² large and 373 km long lake mainly attracts adventurous tourists.
Located in the heart of Siberia, it is the oldest freshwater lake in the world with an age of over 25 million years and also the deepest with a maximum depth of 1,642 m. Its area of 31,722 km² and its length of 636 km are also impressive.
- Hand ifsee
Located between Tanzania, DR Congo, Burundi and Zambia, it is the second largest lake in Africa with an area of 32,893 km² and a length of 676 km. With a maximum depth of 1,470 m, it is also the second deepest in the world.
Lake Michigan is one of the five Great Lakes in North America, which stretch across Canada and the United States. Unlike the other four, however, it is completely in the USA. It has an area of 58,016 km² and a length of 517 km.
Part of the border between Canada and the USA runs right through the 59,596 km² and 397 km long Huron Sea. It is part of the five Great Lakes in North America and was named after the Huron Indian tribe.
With its huge area of 68,894 km², Lake Victoria is the second largest freshwater lake in the world and the largest in Africa. It stretches across the states of Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya and is the lifeline for almost 30 million people.
- Lake Superior
With an area of 82,103 km² (which is roughly the size of Austria) and a length of 616 km, the Obere See is the largest of the five Great Lakes in North America and the largest freshwater lake in the world.
- Caspian Lake
Because of its huge area of 386,400 km² and its length of 1,199 km, the Caspian Sea is not called a lake, but the sea. It is almost five times the size of the second largest lake on earth. The neighboring countries are Kazakhstan, Russia, Iran, Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan.
- Asia Modern History
- Climate in Central and South America
- Ecuador and The Galapagos
- England Overview
- European Expansionism in Middle East
- Europe Energy
- Geography of Asia
- History of Finland
- Hungary Travel Destinations
- Indonesia Forgotten People and Untouched Coral Reefs
- Jamaica As a Destination Country
- Malawi The Warm Heart of Africa
- Portugal Sunbathing On The Edge of Europe
- Spain Overview
- Spain Travel Guide
- Travel to Asia
- United Kingdom Travel Guide
Countries from A to Z
- Western Sahara
- Thompson, Connecticut September 26, 2023 - According to wholevehicles, Thompson, Connecticut is a town located in Windham County in the northeastern part of the state. Situated in the Quinebaug and Shetucket Rivers Valley National Heritage Corridor,… Read more
- Thomaston, Connecticut September 19, 2023 - According to mcat-test-centers, Thomaston, Connecticut is a picturesque town located in Litchfield County. Situated in the northwestern corner of the state, Thomaston is nestled in the rolling hills and valleys… Read more
- Terryville, Connecticut September 12, 2023 - According to liuxers, Terryville, Connecticut is a charming and picturesque town located in Litchfield County. Situated in the northeastern part of the state, Terryville is nestled in the beautiful Naugatuck… Read more
- Tariffville, Connecticut September 5, 2023 - According to maternityetchic, Tariffville is a small village located in the town of Simsbury, Connecticut. Situated in the Farmington River Valley, Tariffville is nestled between Talcott Mountain to the west… Read more
- South Windsor, Connecticut August 29, 2023 - According to iamaccepted, South Windsor, Connecticut is a town located in Hartford County in the state of Connecticut, United States. It is situated in the central part of the state… Read more
- South Willington, Connecticut August 22, 2023 - According to ehuacom, South Willington is a picturesque town located in Tolland County, Connecticut. Situated in the northeastern part of the state, South Willington covers an area of approximately 29… Read more
- South Windham, Connecticut August 22, 2023 - According to existingcountries, South Windham is a charming town located in Windham County, Connecticut. Situated in the northeastern part of the state, it covers a land area of approximately 7.7… Read more
- South Britain, Connecticut August 15, 2023 - According to educationvv, South Britain is a charming village located in the town of Southbury, Connecticut. Nestled in the western part of the state, South Britain is surrounded by natural… Read more
- Somersville, Connecticut August 8, 2023 - According to anycountyprivateschools, Somersville, Connecticut is a charming town located in Tolland County, in the northeastern part of the state. Nestled in the heart of the Connecticut River Valley, Somersville… Read more
- Somers, Connecticut August 1, 2023 - According to andyeducation, Somers, Connecticut is a town located in Tolland County, in the northeastern part of the state. With a population of approximately 11,000 residents, Somers covers an area… Read more